Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Letter From the Prophet

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

7:45AM- I call the Orem Post Office and say I am expecting an important package. "May I come get it in person?" A grumpy voice named Richard gets my name, number and address and spits, "If it's here, we will call you." I hang up and stare at the phone for a whole minute. What if he's looking for a box? Is he gonna call? He's not gonna call. The phone rings and my stomach about jumps out my throat. "Sheresa?...Is it a package or an envelope? A mission call, huh? Yes, it's here and we're going to burn it." I lose all sense of reality and stop breathing. "I'm just giving you a hard time. Go ahead and come on down!"

8:07AM- I STILL cannot find my wallet. I know, since it's a federal office, they will ask for ID. Finally, I find it in my scripture case. Trying my best to keep the speed limit and not get lost, I pull up to the post office. A cute white-haired man gets my name and address. When he comes back out, he's got a huge grin on his face. "Jerry [the postman for my neighborhood] says you're excited about the one on the top!" He winks, "I hope it's the Bahamas!"

8:31AM- What beter way to start my day then with a Champ from Ernies? But seriously.

9:42AM- The hike up Battle Creek begins...



This day could not be complete without my
Chacos, of course, despite the snow.


This is me right after I opened it. I'm still a little teary.

I read it backwards (thanks for the idea, Kraig) and
the first thing I said was, "It's signed by the prophet!"
Look how cute his old man handwriting is.

"You are assigned to labor in the Missouri, Independence Mission." Independence. It's perfect. Does every missionary feel this lucky? "In addition to your calling to share the gospel with nonmembers, you will be assigned to serve in the Independence Visitor's Center."

Yep, I'm pretty daRn excited!

12:12:PM- We set up the webcams and stuff and I read my call to my family (again, backwards).



I could not be happier! This blows everywhere else I thought I wanted to go out of the water. I am so excited! I report to the Missionary Training Center June 10, 2009 (three days before my birthday-ha!).

NO REGRETS!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you pretending to Skype us in the picture for moms camera slowness sake? Its cool we got to "be there" thanks! We are excited for you and for everyone who gets to meet you in Missourah. Love Ya!

Robyn said...

Roo!! Congratulations, that's wonderful news! Maybe I'll see you in the MTC--I'll probably be there until the end of June. :) You'll be great in Zion!

Derek and Andrea said...

Only two comments?? Radical radical. Rad town! I will miss you Funaunt Roo!!

Derek and Andrea said...

...And I totally drooled over that Champ from Ernies that you left half of in the fridge...those are heartattacklicious!

Lindsey said...

I've never been to Ernie's... is it wonderful? I remember Richard did an article about it in the school paper but that's it.

Oh... and CONGRATULATIONS!

Bairds said...

YAY ROUX!!!

Cydney Jensen said...

Yay! That is so exciting! We live in Overland Park Kansas...which is in your mission! You may end up in our area! How crazy would that be?

Diana said...

I just stumbled upon your blog.
Jerry was my mailman too. I loved that guy