Thursday, November 13, 2008

Life is Good

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My mom called me at work today to tell me that my Uncle Mike had been in a plane accident. He had been flying his personal plane alone from Denver to Aspen. Once I heard the news that he was missing, I could just feel that he wasn't here on earth anymore. It was really interesting and made it easier to hear my mom say, "He didn't make it" a few hours later. Uncle Mike absolutely lived his life with a NO REGRETS attitude. I admire him a lot. He and his wife were just like newlyweds although they had been married for like 30 years. It was disgusting sometimes how often they kissed! I know he loved his family more than anything and had a strong testimony of the Gospel.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

We went over to Aunt Kathryn's today to see how she is doing with the loss of her son. I am so impressed with her! She has now unexpectedly lost her husband at a young age, a baby, a nephew and now an adult son. She lost her mother when she was young and her father tragically a few years ago as well (and probably more I can't remember). You would think she would be a grouchy lady, but she is such an inspiration to everyone around her! The trip over was gloomy and depressing. We talked about details of the plane accident and how hard this will be on Mike's family. After visiting with Aunt Kathryn and seeing her excitement for her new singing/dancing Santa Clauses, we were able to relax and share fun memories. Driving home, we just laughed about how silly Mike always was.

Monday, November 17, 2008

I have never been to such a hilarious funeral! There were a few tears, but mostly smiles and laughter! It was phenomenal, really. It was a closed casket, so there was a photo of Mike on the top. The one the family chose perfectly displayed the love he radiated wherever he went. Taken in Mexico or Lake Powell, there he sat on a beach chair, soaking up the sun with his classic teaser grin. Stories were shared of his office pranks and family inside jokes. Some of his favorite phrases were "Life is Gooooood" and "I Love You". Funerals really can be so uplifting if you remember the Plan. Families are eternal and we can party it up in Heaven once we are all done with this "Earth Thing". In my own simple words, I think we are alive right now to figure out who we are. We show God that we can make good choices and want to live with Him again once we are finished here. Simplifying life is the key. I've been struggling with this lately and am working on de-stressing and focusing on what is important.

Indian Ruins, Forgotten Canyon, Lake Powell.
Taken by Jessyka, August 2008

No comments: